Mediaplanet launches awareness-raising campaigns, both online and as print supplements, across the UK and Ireland. We distribute these campaigns with partners including the Guardian, Telegraph, New Scientist, City AM, The Week, Irish Independent and The i; and send them to events across the world hosted by the UN, WHO, UK Parliament, NHS and many more.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Junior Print Designer who will report to the Content & Production Manager as part of the production team. The role involves exceptionally high attention to detail, excellent proofreading ability, and the ability to juggle and appropriately prioritise up to 20 new print supplements every three months. We are looking for a team member who is comfortable advising, but also taking feedback from, the wider sales team. You’ll need to be a self-starter who can take initiative with projects rather than waiting to be asked.
As Mediaplanet’s Junior Print Designer, you will work primarily on the design of print supplements. You will support the digital element of the campaigns on an ad hoc basis. You will be supported by the Content & Production Manager and the Digital Manager in your work.
You will also be responsible for creating and editing external and internal design and communication documents and there may be an element of basic video editing as part of the role.
- Designing magazine- and newspaper-style print campaigns, using Adobe suite, in line with non-moveable deadlines.
- Building templates, placing text, subheads, headlines, bylines etc in accordance with our in-house style guide. Developing our house style to maximise aesthetics for our print partners, clients and project managers.
- Aligning all design with Mediaplanet’s global standards and making sure that all campaigns communications and planned updates are aligned with the ‘look and feel’ of the global MP brand.
- Designing print and digital, internal training materials; and related, external materials, including sales tools, media kits, PR materials, etc.
- Designing print and digital ads tailored to clients’ creative requests, but Mediaplanet’s dimensions/specifications, with a speedy turnaround.
- Creating some social media visuals and content.
- Creating infographics to convey complex messages simply and effectively.
- Preparing documents for preflight.
- Optimising images and branding for print.
- Working closely with – and feeding back to – the wider sales team, managing expectations for their design and aiming to create the best-quality content at all times.
- Representing and guiding design decisions for the whole of Mediaplanet UK and IE; advising where to innovate and where to standardise.
***You must have excellent communication skills, especially written English. Your knowledge of grammar and editorial must be to a very high standard.***
Without innovation, this role can be repetitive.
We are looking for someone with:
- Excellent layout, design and creative skills across the Adobe suite, namely Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- The ability to synthesize materials from multiple sources and produce campaigns within tight deadlines.
- A wish to assume ownership of all delegated processes and tasks.
- A solution-oriented approach to tasks and the office culture.
- A self-driven and social nature.
- An ability to proofread and understand the implications of publishing content with errors.
- Compassion when helping other people’s ideas/vision come to fruition.
- A background in print would be advantageous.
We think you’ll enjoy working here if you are:
- Excited by print publishing and design, and take excellent pride in your work.
- Excited about identifying with Mediaplanet as a brand and company.
- Able to adapt and work towards deadlines in a fast-paced organisation.
- A quick learner, passionate about design and highly ambitious.
- Comfortable working independently but can appreciate working in a group setting too.