Vue Entertainment is part of Vue International – one of the world’s leading cinema operators, managing the most respected brands in major European markets and Taiwan, spanning ten countries, 211 sites, and 1,875 screens.
While Vue International is one of the biggest cinema chains outside the US, the UK search results didn’t really echo the same sentiment. Their competitors had made gains on the lead that Vue held previously through increased SEO work, particularly around location and latest movie terms.
Another of the key challenges from a search point of view was to make the same film information different and offer a better user experience for cinema goers, ultimately meaning that users (and therefore Google) choose Vue as the cinema of choice in their ‘go-to cinema’ moments.
Film synopses are usually stored and provided by a third party that distributes the exact same information (trailers, synopses etc.) to a number of cinema chains.
In short, the challenge was to increase search visibility with very limited control over the format of film content.
The strategy put forward by Branded3 was to create unique copy for these listings, tying in with Google’s best practice guidelines.
- Upload listings a minimum of three months in advance to build SEO authority prior to film releases
- Include search terms within copy to target long-tail keywords as well as short-tail
- Ensure content is as descriptive as possible to cater for different user intents
- Rewrite press releases and rework descriptions of films from studios to avoid any duplicate content issues from Google’s Panda algorithm
- Extend length of listing to avoid thin content issues
The work has delivered a 46% increase in visibility for Vue alone, but we’ve also created an 8,000-point visibility gap between Vue and their closest UK competitor.