RSPB Membership Communications
We were appointed by the RSPB to develop a new magazine for their 1 million-plus members, as well as a roster of children’s magazines and regional newsletters. They wanted to reach out to new audiences (especially families), increase members’ engagement in their campaigns and offset magazine costs with increased advertising.
We reinvented the RSPB members’ magazine, Nature’s Home, introducing a new design, sections and contributors. As well as new family pages within the magazine, we created a special family supplement, reflecting key activities for the season, which were mailed with targeted copies in summer 2015.
At the same time, we redesigned the magazine for teenage members, Wingbeat, giving it a clear graphic identity that echoed the adult branding. And we took on the publishing of Wild Times and Bird Life magazines for younger readers, as well as three regional newsletters.
- Our July 2015 reader survey showed that 14% of readers had made an additional donation to the RSPB as a result of reading the magazine
- The ‘Vote for Bob’ campaign secured over 120k votes and, as a result, the campaign was then backed by 1,098 parliamentary candidates
- In 2016, Big Garden Birdwatch became the largest wildlife survey in the world, with over 1 million responses
- A summer 2015 reader survey found that 60% of family members were more likely to read the magazine as a result of targeted content
- And a word from a long-standing reader: “This was surely the best ever magazine produced by RSPB. I have every single issue of Birds since 1967 and so I think I am qualified to comment. Well done.”